1/5/12

Experimenting with Caramel

Sooo . . . I've been experimenting with making caramel fillings. Well, one actually. The sea salt recipe was such a success that I wanted to try different flavors for caramel.

I love caramel, its rich, buttery goodness with each bite. The stiffness of it before it gives way, leaving impressions of your teeth in it. The way the chocolate covering enhances the flavor of the caramel. Ahhhhh . . .

Okay, I just love candy.

AND making it, so I thought I'd experiment with other flavors. The first one on my list was--Whiskey! I love the earthiness of a good Tennessee whiskey that I thought I'd try to incorporate the flavor into a caramel. The first batch didn't have the deep flavor that I was looking for--and I used nearly two cups of the stuff. Part of the problem is that alcohol tends to hit the sinuses with its essence which adds another level of enjoyment to the experience. Well, the alcohol cooks out, and no, I'm not about to add it after the fact. 

The texture was a little softer than I wanted, I was shooting for a stiffer caramel that could hold up to being cut and dipped, but it was incredibility smooth and buttery with just a hint of flavor. Once it is dipped, it will be harder to detect that flavor. I'll just have to figure out a way to concentrate the flavor. Once I figure out the recipe, then I can try other caramel flavors. I still like the idea of rum caramel, bananas foster, and cinnamon. Any other flavors you might be interested in me trying to make?

Oh, you want to know what brought on this fit of madness?

A few years ago, Brenda Novak's youngest son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. She started a crusade to fight the disease and to provide money for much needed research, so she started an online auction that warped into For the Cure. With the exception of last year, I have donated a crocheted afghan--and I probably will crochet one again this year--but since I make 'artisan' candy, I thought I might donate a few boxes. I do have a few concerns about this, so it might not happen.

Yeah, I know it's a little

Anyhoo--I thought I'd experiment anyway . . . I have to get ready for candy season next year, right?

2 comments:

  1. What a noble cause! You're awesome to donate what I know takes love to make.
    Uh...to help you with your other goals, all failed batches may be sent to me. I promise I will find it an acceptible home. I pay shippping too! Just sayin' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't think so, Meg. You can sample it next time you're in town. I'll label it.
    Whiskey caramel take one. :-)

    I had my hubby and kidlet try a sample (the alcohol is cooked out, people!) and they both thought it tasted like butterscotch . . . hmm, back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.