12/2/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Sweet Potatos with Pecan Topping

This recipe has become a Thanksgiving tradition with my family, instead of sweet potato with marshmallows on top. Now, I can’t take credit for this one as my sister, Carolyn, was the one who instigated this recipe into our traditions, and now, my brother Jim has taken over the preparation since C isn’t able to visit as much as she had in the past (the logistics of living in Michigan vs. Texas). The recipe was originally from a cookbook called BEST OF THE BEST FROM TEXAS.

I have never made this recipe so tweak it as necessary. And yes, I do believe that this recipe is at least tripled for our family gathering! But just looking at it, I would be tempted to add some ground spices to the sweet potatoes (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon) and richen it by using half-and-half instead of the milk (since I don’t buy whole milk).  If you do make adjustments, then sample mixture PRIOR to adding the raw eggs.

Sweet Potatoes with Pecan Topping


3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
¼ cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp salt

TOPPING:
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbls flour
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup coconut, optional (the family had never prepared it with coconut)

Mix mashed sweet potatoes, milk, butter, vanilla, eggs and salt. Spoon into a 1 ½ quart oiled casserole.  
Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over sweet potatoes. Bake at 375° degrees F. for 25 minutes.

Serves 6.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Mags--
    I have made this from a similar recipe and I loved it. My kids--not so much but they were little and liked marshmallows.
    I will look for that cookbook.

    I love your Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg. I should have provided a link. Oops. I also make the Chicken Wellington on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made something similar, too, but with the pecans, etc., stirred in. What I tried was a lot simpler, though -- in taste. It needed complexity.

    I'm printing this one out to try for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps the pecans toasted on the top will make the difference, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.