12/4/11

Beaver Brothers at it again.

Here's a quick pictorial from my morning walkies on Saturday. Though overcast and cloudy, the sky was totally different than the day before, full of texture and color with breaks of cerulean blue.
Facing west
The triangular bowl between highways--north
I'll admit that I walk the same path daily (see the strip of white below the hotel? That's the path), but it isn't always the same. That is what is so wonderful about nature, always changing. One of the three highways is pictured (the building in the pic is a hotel), the second highway is to my right and the third is at my back. The grove of trees border a tributary creek. Somewhere along this creek my beaver buddies live.
 This was the original evidence that the beavers had returned. This picture was taken near the hotel in the previous pictures.
That poor little tree has become this. :-) They finished the job of taking down the tree, and though you can't see it in this picture, there are branches missing. They have started gnawing off branches to make a den or dam . . . or simply because their teeth needed honing down.

Who knows what goes on in a little beaver mind?

Not far from the downed tree, under the creepy bridges, I found these tracks. For all I know about critter prints, these could be from raccoons and not beavers, but they're cute aren't they?

Oh, what are the creepy bridges?

Since these three highways intersect, there are numerous interchanges. Behind the trees in the picture with the hotel are the creepy bridges. The path does a hairpin turn of probably about 180 degrees. It runs straight beneath the two, double-laned bridges, but you can't see around either corner. You can't hear anyone coming from either direction, due to location AND the loud noise of the cars whizzing by. Definitely creepy. A good place to hide a body creepy. I keep my nunchuck water bottle handy along with my pepper spray.

And backtracking to the original picture (away from the hotel) we go under another highway (brighter, airier and seriously less creepy!) and we have to cross the creek. A few years ago, the city put in the bridge to connect the walking trails. I'm sincerely glad because if you wanted to cross the old way, you had to hop, skip and jump across using wobbly rocks!  I'm taking this picture from between the rails.

Look at the tree in the center of the picture. Notice the lighter blond wood at the bottom. Yep, my beaver friends are at it again on a new tree. I tried to find the area where they are building their home, but suspect it's near the boggy part of the creek. That's where it was before, hidden from prying eyes and the sounds of the highway are muffled.

I think that's where I would live--if I were a beaver, that is.

Later, Peeps!

2 comments:

  1. Good pictures, Margaret!
    You have a great trail. Glad it changes daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg! Those were taken with my phone, so I was pretty excited to see how good they look.

    With all this cold weather moving in (it doesn't help my asthma), I might have to give up my outside walks in favor of the gym. :-(

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.