10/5/11

Weighty Wednesday--Water, Water Everywhere

And if you want to lose weight, you had better be drinking it!

No weight to report this week, because I'm in Canada and missed my weigh-in. Oops! Hey, it's happened before, when I was in Disney World and Las Vegas. My goal during this time is NOT to gain weight. Losing weight is optional. :-)

Okey-dokey-pokey

Drinking water isn't an exclusive Weight Watcher's Health Check, but it is one of their healthy check guidelines that you need to follow every day. The neat thing about the WW etools is you can check the serving of water off and once you hit six, you get a smiley face.

I like getting smiley faces.

Anyhoo, virtually every doctor and dietitian will tell you to drink between 6-8 glasses of water daily. A glass being 8 ounces. Many diets will allow you to exchange half of your required water with an equal amount of another liquid. Most often people will choose a diet soda, or tea with sweetener, flavored sweetener or whatever.

Do NOT do this!

You heard me--drink water only! Save the other drinks as a treat!

Why am I so adamant about this?

I'm not a nutritionist, doctor, or nurse, but I am drawing upon my experience as a medical technologist with some biochemistry and physiology in my training, plus the knowledge acquired from having diabetics (juvenile and adult-onset) in my family, along with the plethora of Weight Watcher nutritionists who developed the points plus system.

*THIS NEXT STATEMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT OBSERVATION*

Even if a product is considered no calorie, your body doesn't recognize that fact. Your body treats a sweetener as if it is the real thing, which results in an insulin response to the 'sugar' input.

I had always suspected this, but when I input the Breakfast Apple Cake recipe into the Weight Watcher point calculator, I discovered it to be true.

--One cup of sugar equaled 22 points, while the one cup of Splenda was the same 22 points.

The reason is the body's response to sweetener.

So, my friends, it is time to cut the habit. Go cold turkey and switch to drinking straight water. And if you water tastes funny, add a slice of lemon, lime or even a slice of cucumber. Get used to drinking water and counting it. I've measured my aluminum bottle that I take on my daily walks, it's 3 cups. I drink that amount every day during and after my walk. By 9 AM, I have already finished half of my recommended water for the day.

Keep hydrated and lose some weight!

Later, Peeps!

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the artifical sweetner until you posted it. Thanks.
    I'm trying to cut out all sweetners as I've heard they affect joints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never give up my diet pepsi habit. Or my dark chocolate habit. Other stuff is negotiable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first lost the weight, for three years I drank nothing but plain water and the occasional tea. I was crazy for something else, something fizzy, something sweet or rich.

    I've cut way back on diet soda, but I still drink green tea with artificial sweetener. I heard Dr. Travis say this about sweeteners a while back, and I've thought about trying to cut it out, but I don't know . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're safe doing everything in moderation. If you cut out everything that everybody ever said was "bad for you", I don't that there would be anything left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg--it's my pleasure! I basically discovered this phenomena completely by accident, but when I started digging into the subject I found out some more info!

    Jods--I totally understand, but I'm a firm believer that everyone needs treats, but tempering the snacky-happiness is paramount.

    Marilyn--enjoy your diet soda . . . occasionally. The problems arise when people drink far more than an 'occasional' soda.

    Jods--I agree. I know for a fact that when I deny myself treats, I tend to over-indulge.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.