10/14/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Blueberry Oat Bars

I love this recipe. It came in a PSO (electric) bill. I don’t make it very often since the family isn’t into oats. But now that I’ve pulled it out again, I just might make it--I do have a bunch of frozen blueberries, yanno.

Blueberry Oat Bars

1 ¾ cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 ½ cups flour
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup nuts, chopped
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup butter, melted
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
½ cup sugar
3 Tbls. water
2 Tbls. cornstarch
2 tsp. lemon juice

Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 11 x 7-inch glass baking dish. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, nuts, baking soda and salt. Add butter, mixing until crumbly--reserve ¾ cup mixture. Press remaining mixture onto bottom of prepared dish. Bake 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine blueberries, sugar and 2 Tbls water. Bring to a boil; simmer 2 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Combine remaining 1 Tbls. water, cornstarch and lemon juice; mix well. Gradually stir into blueberry mixture; cook and stir about 30 seconds or until thickened. Spread over partially baked base to within ¼-inch of edge; sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Bake 18-20 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on wire rack; cut into bars Store tightly covered.

Enjoy!
Later, Peeps!

2 comments:

  1. I love oats and blueberries, and I just happen to have some frozen ones, too. I'll have to give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried to lighten this recipe, but I bet it would be fairly easy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.