8/12/11

FOODIE FRIDAY-Peanut Butter Cookies

I don’t know about y’all, but I LOVE peanut butter cookies. I don’t do anything special to them, but I simply use the recipe right off the jar. Maybe that’s the secret. I use JIF® creamy peanut butter. Yes, I had to find one of those registered trademark symbols. Sometimes I get a little steamed at the hoops we bloggers must jump through. *this is aimed at you, Martha Stewart!*

Anyhoo, the print is too darn tiny for these old peepers, plus I promised my kidlet that I would put a copy of this recipe in our computer file. It says the recipe makes 3 dozen cookies, but I use a big cookie scooper, so it doesn’t make quite that many at my house. Here’s the recipe.

JIF® Peanut Butter Cookies



¾ cup JIF creamy peanut butter
½ cup Crisco all-vegetable shortening (buy the sticks, it’s easier and they don’t go rancid as quickly)
1 ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3 Tbls. milk
1 Tbls. vanilla
1 egg
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking soda

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place sheets of foil on countertop for cooling cookies.

Combine peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add egg. Beat just until blended.

Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just

blended. Drop by heaping Tbls. (or med. cookie dough scooper 1-7/8 diameter) 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with floured fork tines in a criss-cross pattern. 

Bake at 375 degrees F for 7-8 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to foil to cool.
 
Hints:
· Undercook the cookies
· If you use 2% milk, spike it with a little half and half to make it richer
.Do NOT substitute butter for the shortening. That would be bad, very bad.


3 comments:

  1. a few ago I discovered that peanuts made me ill BUT I could still eat peanut butter with no ill effects. I figured it was because of the nut processing. However within the past year I seem have developed an allergy to peanut butter also. I am SO UPSET! This cookie recipe looks great but, Sigh, will have to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, my friend. I'll toast you with a cookie next time I make them. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like peanut butter cookies, especially fresh baked from the oven.
    Chocolate chip oatmeal with pecans are one of my can't resist though.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.