8/5/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Caramel Corn

This recipe is probably the oldest recipe in my collection. When I was in the seventh grade, girls had to take a Home Economics class while boys took woodworking. We learned to cook and sew-- And my best friend managed to sew her finger not just once, but twice. With all the school cuts over the last *mumble, mumble* years, I doubt if they offer it any more. Anyway, this was one of the first recipes I ever cooked.

Caramel Corn


1/3 cup margarine or butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbls. white corn syrup (Karo)
¼ tsp. baking soda
 
Place all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add soda, stir rapidly. Pour over popped corn. Gently fold popped corn into caramel. Careful, the caramel retains the heat.

I usually pop my corn in the same pan BEFORE I make the caramel. I eyeball it. Over high heat, heat roughly 2 Tbls. oil in medium saucepan, add 3 kernels of popping corn and cover. Once the kernels pop, add 1/3 cup of popping kernels and cover. They will start popping almost immediately. When the pops are 2-3 seconds apart, remove from heat and pour into large bowl.  Add salt.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had this in YEARS! I am now craving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Margaret. Another reciped I have to try!
    I love carmel corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Cyndi! I had a kiddo yattering in my ear when I realized that I didn't post my Friday food blog . . . so I went with short and sweet. :-P

    You're welcome, Megs! I can't believe I still have this recipe after *mumble, mumble* years!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.