7/22/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Nutcracker Tart (dessert)

Okay, true confessions here. If I can get out of making a pie crust, I will—just ask my sis-in-law Margie. We’ve been cooking Thanksgiving appetizers and desserts for YEARS, and I twist her arm to make the crust every single time.  Since I hate making pie crust, I usually will lean toward tarts. Many tarts have a crumbly crust that is pressed into the pan, not rolled out.
--Okay, I lied. I must have had Margie make the crust on this one!
   I believe we made this recipe for the first time in 2010, but it could have been 2009. Age, yanno, the years run together sometimes. My wonderful niece Liz did all the hard work on the oranges.
--uhm, if I’m wrong about this, my family, then let me know . . . NOT.
And yes, this is a Bon Appetit recipe.

Nutcracker Tart

CRUST:
1 ¼ cups flour
2 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1/3 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, diced
¼ cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, diced
3 Tbls. (about) ice water
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

FILLING:
1 ½ cups whipping cream
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup pecan halves
2/3 cup roasted unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup sliced almonds

Whipping cream
Orange-Cranberry Compote (optional; see recipe)

FOR CRUST: Mix flour, sugar and salt in processor. Add shortening and butter. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer flour mixture to a large bowl. Combine 3 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in small bowl; pour over flour mixture. Stir with fork until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls as needed. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap disk in plastic and chill at least 20 minutes and up to 3 days.

Roll out dough disk on lightly floured surface to 13-inch-diameter round. Transfer to 11-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Press dough into tart pan. Trim dough overhang and reserve (reserve for what, I don’t remember. I think we baked it and ate it!). Freeze crust 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Bake crust until golden, about 17 minutes; if crust bubbles, press with back of fork. Cool on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F.

MEANWHILE, PREPARE FILLING: Mix 1 ½ cups cream, both sugars and honey in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture bubbles thicken and darkens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in grated orange peel. Let stand 20 minutes. Stir in walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds. Spoon filling into crust, distributing nuts evenly.

Bake tart until filling is bubbling thickly and is deep amber in color, about 22 minutes. Cool completely on rack. Serve with whipped cream and Orange-Cranberry Compote, if desired.


ORANGE-CRANBERRY COMPOTE
                                                                                     MAKES ABOUT 1 ¼ CUPS

6 oranges
1 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbls. Amaretto or almond syrup

Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release orange segments. Add cranberries and Amaretto to bowl. Toss to combine. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.

Okay, snap to it and practice this recipe!  Okay, you can make it in the fall when it's not so hot!
Later, Peeps

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I've never made decent pie crust in my life, but I have no problem at all with buying them pre-made.

    If I make it, will your niece do all the oranges for me? I'll give her half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet Liz would help. . . too bad she's going to Nashville to finish her Masters/Doctorate or whatever it is in Nutrition.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.