5/9/11

Renaissance Faire

Don't let the title fool you. This is more fantasy Renaissance than true Renaissance. Anyhoo, this weekend in honor of Mother's day, my family was forced willingly attended the Renaissance Faire at The Castle in Muskogee (a town about 35 miles south of us). My mistake was my lack of foresight--I should have plied my hubster with a beer when we first walked into the Faire. Oh, well.

I should have taken pictures, too, but I didn't. People watching here is kind of like watching a train wreck--stunning you into a stupor of inaction. Some of the characters played a role--LARP's if you will (Live Action Role Players). There was a King and Queen with their entourage, jesters, executioners, knights, dudes in kilts, a few Vikings, wenches, gypsies and . . . fairies. Most of them had lousy accents, but that's part of the fun. These photos I borrowed from their official site.
--and no, they don't capture the . . . ah, unique individuals.

 The Castle (as it's called) occupied a large plot of partially wooded land with meandering walkways that lead to interesting places, food, games, or stall keepers. We saw an exhibition of falconry, but didn't see the joust this year. One of the knights who jousted pulled his horse out of the stall and let me scritch his face and play with his lips. He reminded me of Buster, but then I will always have a soft spot of dark horses.

Of the shopping stalls, I found the Aerie to be fascinating--it was a book store. Many dress shops that had stunning dresses with corsets that almost allow everything to spill out. And the armories. I love the armories. They had chain mail--very fine intertwined links that made a mesh coat. I lifted one up and that sucker had to weigh 15 lbs. Can you imagine wearing that, plus an undercoat and even armor on top?? The closest you could come to it would be a firefighter carrying 60-75 lbs of equipment for a couple of hours while fighting a fire. Those knights had to have been seriously buff!

I did make one purchase for the day--a mousepad--"too many late knights". It was way too cute.

Poor dragon has a sick tummy!

Later, Peeps!

10 comments:

  1. My son is probably one of those weird people you saw. He loves May because of the faire.
    Glad you enjoyed it. People watching really is the best part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too fun, Susan! Todd only went because I wanted to go--he didn't complain, but he didn't make it fun either!
    What did your son dress up as?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this looks like so much fun! hope you took lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I didn't, Bonnie. *hangs head* I . . . er, borrowed these from their website. I didn't think about it until AFTER we came home and I decided to blog about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tote about 60 lbs of gear strapped to my back before getting in the water. Sounds bad, huh? Then I sink like a rock. . .
    There was a Faire here in Greenville on Saturday...and I was in AThens. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOw, I know why you are so buff, Meg!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like fun. Serious fun. People watching is a favorite pastime.

    One of the advantages of having the phone I do is that I always have a camera with me.

    As far as Todd not having fun...it was MOTHER'S day. On Father's day, he can do what he wants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. . . . and YES, Cyndi, I did have my phone. . . I just don't think to whip it out and use it all the time!

    Poor guy, He has to go out of town for a board meeting the week of 1)his birthday, 2)Father's Day, 3) our anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the renn faire! I haven't been in a few years, but I'm one of the oddballs who dress up when I go. :) I swear I was born in the wrong time period.

    Last time I went there was a guy who had rolled in mud and was offering good-luck-hugs for 5 pence. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was fun! I would have loved to dress up--maybe you can go with me the next time, Ash, and we can be a couple of wenches!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.