4/29/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Cottage Pie (meat entree)

Quite a few years ago when our daughter was two going on three, we traveled to Disney World—mainly to take advantage of their ‘kids under 3’ are free policy.  She was potty trained and a real trooper. We did take an umbrella stroller that first year, but in the years afterwards she walked or Daddy carted her on his back.  Even today at the grand age of ten, she’ll fuss and complain when we walk around the block, but take her to an amusement park and she leaves us in the dust!
Our first night at Disney, we had reservations at the Rose and Crown Pub at EPCOT.  We were eating when a waiter came up to use and asked if our daughter wanted to start the Illuminations: Reflections of Earth a laser/fireworks show on the lake. Of course, neither my hubby nor I thought to bring a camera! Rachel held the wand, and when told to point it over the lake, she did. A single flare burst out and the 12-minute show started. Though we were unable to document it with pictures, it was truly an experience.
Out of the Cooking with Mickey cookbook with only slight modifications:

Rose and Crown’s Cottage Pie


¼ cup butter
1 cup onion, diced
1 ½ lbs. lean ground beef
Salt
Pepper
¼ tsp, savory, ground
1 cup brown gravy (McCormick’s brown gravy mix works best)
2 cups potatoes, mashed (I always have boxed potato flakes to use)
Grated cheddar cheese

Heat butter in 9-in. skillet. Add onion and cook until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add beef, salt, pepper, and savory and continue cooking 5 minutes longer. Stir in gravy and heat until bubbling. Spoon mixture into a buttered 8-cup flat casserole dish. Top meat mixture with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe and the memory.
    My son and his wife were married at Epcot in April, 2006. It was a glorious adventure and, of course, it's still their favorite place on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy!
    My very first trip to Disney World was on my honeymoon--19 years ago! I love it! We've returned virtually every year over the last 8 years. Every year the experience has been different. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy, Meg!
    If you can get Jackie's chicken salad recipe I'll add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, if i could only find someone to come over and cook me all these goodies.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I lived closer, Jody, I'd cook you a meal in trade for a horseback ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margie, I would absolutely take you up on that!
    I saw a cookbook I might buy - all kinds of delicious looking dishes that don't use more than four ingredients each. That's the way I need to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds perfect, Jody! Plus if you check the spice aisle, McCormick has some recipe inspirations that include the correct amounts of spice, all you need are a few ingredients.
    http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Recipe-Inspirations.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.