3/11/11

FOODIE FRIDAY--Chicken Wellington

This recipe originally came from the cookbook, BEST OF THE BEST OF TEXAS. I love this recipe. It’s quick. It’s easy. And it looks spectacular when presented on a plate with a lovely green salad. My ten-year-old LOVES this recipe.
I’ll type the ‘official’ version, but will offer hints at the end to make it lighter in fat.

Chicken Wellington

I sheet puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm—freezer section) room temp
¼ cup butter
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fat trimmed off)
½ (8 oz.) pkg cream cheese (Philadelphia Brand) room temp
Knorr Swiss Aromat seasoning for meat, to taste (sometimes hard to find—try a German food store if it isn’t in your normal grocery store)
Lemon Pepper, to taste

1. When puff pastry reaches room temperature, unfold it onto a floured surface, sprinkle top lightly with flour, and roll it out as flat as you can, but to where you can still handle the dough.  Cut dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. (works with three breasts, too)
2. Using medium heat, melt butter, add chicken breasts, and cook 5 minutes per side.
3. Place each breast in the center of a pastry square; put 2 tablespoons of cream cheese on top of each breast. (work quickly as the hot meat will soften pastry and cause it to rip)
4. Sprinkle to taste with Knorr seasoning for meat and lemon pepper. (I’m heavy handed with this step)
5. Pull the edges of the pastry square up and fold them over the breast to seal the breast inside the pastry, tuck edges under the pastry.
6. Brush top of pastry with melted butter, if desired.
7. Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. May need to broil for a minute or so to brown the top.

To lighten the fat content:
Delete butter.  Use a non-stick pan and lightly spray with butter-flavored cooking spray (Pam). 
Use low-fat Philly cream cheese.  I used 1/3 reduced fat and couldn’t tell the difference.  Non-fat might work, too, since the seasonings would cover any weird graininess you might experience.
Lightly spray the top of the pastries with butter-flavored cooking spray prior to cooking.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I love puff pastry and cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is one of my fallbacks, Marilyn. I always keep puff pastry in the freezer and cream cheese in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never used puff pastry! Recipe looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's super easy to use, Meg. Just look for it in the freezer area near pies and frozen crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I know what I'm eating for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds very yummy! Unfortunately it requires something I don't do, which is cooking. :)

    However, I'm always available to test recipes prepared by others. I'm sure anything Margaret makes is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe your mister can cook it for you, Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope - the fellow I'm dating has no kitchen skills either. We are both grateful for the prepared foods section at Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.