2/11/11

Another Round of Slicing and Dicing

*sigh* Ah, the life of a writer.  Inventing all sorts of cool worlds, plots and situations only to have to chop most of the extraneous stuff.

I finished my . . . oh, let's go with . . . 8th round of edits on GNOME and I sent it to my CP.  This is a person who had read Lost Leprechaun Loot, but hadn't read any of GNOME.  Fresh eyes, yanno.

A-and I get it back within 24 hours, which is a FANTASTIC turnaround time, if I do say so myself, BUT . . .

There's always a BUT. :-) The pacing in the first few chapters was off. 

By the time my CP reached a certain point--I don't want to give anything away, so deal with the ambiguity of this statement--she was totally engrossed and couldn't stop reading.  This is A GOOD THING.

So roughly the last 3/4 of story works, but not the first 1/4.  All she did was confirm what I already suspected.  So what to do? 

This is where the Ginsu knife comes in handy--it will slice and dice through a tin can!

I'm cutting chapter one and most of chapter two.  I'll wave my magic wand and *POOF* it will be fixed . . . yeah, I wish.  This is where you see a writer gazing out the window, staring at nothing.  Writers think A LOT, so I'm thinking about how I want to weave this new beginning into the story.  To have the fantasy element a little quicker off the mark and hopefully engage the reader sooner.

But it won't happen with me blogging about what I need to do.  So . . .

Later, Peeps!

4 comments:

  1. Margaret--
    I know you can do this. You're a great writer--and you've done your research.
    I loved LLL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Megs! I knew it was off, I just needed your boot in the arse to confirm it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a beta read for a friend, and i advised her to rewrite the first 3rd of the book. She did, too. It sucks but better to have the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Edie. She probably KNEW there were issues, but your nudge was what she needed to confirm her fears.
    I've been doing a lot of thinking about this and I know how I want to deal with it, plus I know how I will lean up a few other fatty areas.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.