12/15/10

Debriefing Christmas Candy 2010

Top row: Lime Gimlet, Whiskey Toffee, Peanut Butter Cup, Peppermint Schnapps, Frangelico
Middle row: Kahlua, Chambord, Strawberry Margarita, Limoncello
Bottom row: Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Caramel, Black Forest (cherry chocolate)
The bags on the right Top to bottom: Toffee, Turtles, Peanut brittle
I promise this will be my last candy post!  Unless someone actually requests more posts or recipes.

The candy making time of the year is winding down and unless someone pops up offering me a book contract to publish my truffle fillings, well, then my recipes will be between you and me.   Tuesday, I spent the day packaging my candy and thinking up helpful hints.

I discovered many things:

--a 1/2 lb box holds 16 pieces of candy . . . and I only made 13 varieties.  oops.

--dry weather is optimal for making any kind of toffee and peanut brittle, but the little static shocks the child/dog/hubster plague you with, well, I just have to live with it.

--guesstimating and making three batches of toffee was right on the money

--ordering 15 lbs of milk chocolate was seriously overkill . . . I hope I have room in my freezer.

--when one makes candy, one must have a serious candy thermometer

--one does get sick of the smell of chocolate . . . as unbelievable as that statement is, it is the truth

--making candy for 6-8 hours a day results in an aching back and feet, along with a cranky temper.  Treat the candy making queen as she deserves.

--NEVER wash candy molds with soap.  Use only scalding hot water as the soap leaves a residue behind

--when molding caramel over pecans for turtles keep a stick of butter handy--the grease keeps the caramel from sticking to your hands.

--drink a glass of water for every few "taste testing" episodes.  It works while drinking booze so it can't hurt while candy eating.

--if you truly enjoy eating my candy TELL ME, telling the hubster doesn't have the same impact.  But if you didn't like it, well, then Eff-off and "No more soup for you!"  Er, candy.  "No more candy for you!"

--plan to have someone else 'steam clean' the kitchen.  The dog licking the floor is NOT good enough.

That's it for now.  If I have any other gems of wisdom, I'll post them in another color. 

It's time for me to think about writing again.  I've been itching to write another short story, so maybe next week.

Later, Peeps!

8 comments:

  1. Note to Magolla's DH--Have an apron made for her that says, CANDY MAKING QUEEN--adore her!

    BTW: I won't be trying for your title any time soon. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dog licking the floor isn't good enough?? Really??? Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to give my hubster credit, Sus, he DID clean my stove AND mop my kitchen floor! :-)

    And for those of you who have never cooked sugar--it splatters. Tiny little droplets of hardness that land everywhere . . . kinda like your car when you inadvertently park it under a sappy tree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Marilyn, I can't believe it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about: "Taunting your friends on FB with blow by blow descriptions of the candy making process should be followed with box of 13 pieces, see #1 above"

    ReplyDelete
  6. DANG! I knew I had forgotten one! Thanks, Sandee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I was doing so well till you posted a PICTURE of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nephew requested a caption, so I'll post one here. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.