9/1/10

These Times, They Are A'changing

Yesterday was new release day for many books.  And yes, I had my list ready to shop!  Traditional publishers tend to group a bunch of releases for the same day.  It makes sense.  If you are shopping for the latest Jayne Castle you might also be interested in the new Teresa Medieros.  I was.   But I have to admit I only spent $48.

Yes, only $48 bucks.  Normally, I would spend upwards of $75 or more for new books.  Just ask my hubby.  The books I bought were authors I love and I expect to get swept away in their stories.  Heck, what isn't there to love about killer dust bunnies?? (Jayne Castle's, aka Jayne Ann Krentz, futuristics)

But what about an unknown author?  Would you be willing to spend upwards of seven or eight bucks to find out you don't really enjoy their writing style?  I have two partially read books sitting on my desk of authors I loved, but I didn't love these books.  I was disappointed for different reasons and stopped reading. I honestly don't know if I'll finish these books.  But what about electronic books?  Spending three or four bucks on a book would be the way to go.  J. A. Konrath said in a recent article that it's a cup of coffee.  And it is.  Three bucks for coffee or three bucks for a book and eight hours of enjoyment. 

My friend Edie Ramer took that route with Cattitude.  And I started wondering, what about younger kids?  Yanno, those middle graders that I write for would they read a downloaded book?  I read another article that Nintendo DSi is going to have larger screens for readability.  How cool is that?  The Nook, the Kindle, the Sony e-reader are all dropping their prices.  The iPad is available.  Phones are smarter than ever.  Heck, my kid knows how to work my hubby's phone better than I do!  Okay, I admit that isn't too much of a surprise, but still!

So I'm taking a little leap.  I'm planning to get my middle grade short stories up on Smashwords.  I said it here, which means I better get my butt in gear and do it! They are short, around 5000 words, divided into chapter type breaks, and are seasonal.  I think it just might work. I'll let you know when the first one is up . . . but I have to write it first.  How about, MONSTER MIX-UP (Halloween)for the title?  The other two are SUGAR PLUM DISASTER (Christmas) and LOST LEPRECHAUN LOOT (St. Paddy's day)

Later, peeps!
Write on!

6 comments:

  1. Seven or eight dollars is nothing. You can always re-gift the book if you don't like it and – ta da! Cheapo Christmas gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but I'm hard on my books--I break their spines and then no re-gifting, or I save them as 'keepers'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it! I think you'll do well. Put them on Amazon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will, Edie. Uh, in case you haven't figured it out yet, I WILL be emailing you constantly when I get back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Copy me on those email, you two, I need to know how to do what Edie did as well......

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing I did, Jods, was to download Smashwords style guide, then I promptly got a headache! I'll worry about it later.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.