9/22/10

Addressing Tough Issues

On Sunday, I read this post by Janet Reid.  I totally agree that these tough subjects need to be addressed . . . but not by me.  Sometimes the only way teenagers get the information they need is by reading about it.  Yes, I'd like my child to come to me with her problems--but let's be real here, how often does that REALLY happen?  If she won't come to me then, I'd rather have my child read a 'fictional' account of date rape, drug abuse, drinking, homosexuality, etc.  Hopefully, she would realize HOW she needs to deal with it, who to talk to, etc. instead of keeping it to herself and allowing the wound to fester.  This rocky road can lead to severe depression, behavioral changes and sometimes suicide.

I will always remember my sister (12 years older than me) giving me a book when I was twelve.  I had just hit puberty along with all the complications associated with it.  The book was, ARE YOU THERE GOD?  IT'S ME, MARGARET by Judy Blume.  Was I totally embarrassed?  Hell, yeah, but it helped me in more ways than I care to count. 

There is a need for these types of books in schools, in libraries, and even in your own home.  Why are parents trying to ban this stuff from school libraries?  What happened to Freedom of Speech?  And the ability for us to make choices for ourselves?  Wouldn't you rather have your child read about something from a reasonably legit source over hearsay from their 'buddies'? 

What I find interesting is agents/editors don't want writers to write PB's (picture books) that TEACH the reader a lesson.  They don't want kids to be preached at.  BUT if you read many, many PB's or early readers, there are morals and lessons in each story.  The key is to hide the moral in the subtext.

In a sense, don't all books teach the reader?  It just depends on how subtle the author is when she addresses various issues. We learn so many things while reading, whether it is through the subtext or actual words. 

What are your thoughts on the subject? 

Write on!

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't write these books. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. They should.

    Maybe books tackling difficult topics will help that teen who needs help verbalizing to someone who can help rather than burying the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a lot of overly conservative right groups try to ban YA books at our libraries with gay themes. The librarians refused to take them off the shelves, and good for them.

    It's not likely straights would take out these books and be changed by them. It's the people struggling with their sexuality who need them. It makes me wonder what they're so afraid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are afraid of what they don't understand. Fear of the unknown has long been ingrained in the human psyche, which is why stories were developed by shamans (or whoever) to explain the phenomena.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Tuesday I was buying books for a 2 yr old that I wanted to teach with interest. Lots of drek.
    Although it's been YEARS since I had a preteen, I did search for books that had a lesson as well as content.
    Don't ban books. If kids don't want to read it, they won't. Or am I wrong? I rememeber swiping some "dirty" book from my mother when I was 14. I ended up explaining things to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kid is a perfect example of that. I'll buy a book that I think she 'might' like, but it sits in the closet gathering dust . . . after I read it, of course. :-) And series don't always work for kids either. Rach read 100 Cupboards and LOVED it, but totally didn't get into book #2, Dandilion Fire.

    Love Dr. Seuss books--they are still favorites in our house! In fact, two nights ago, Rach wanted me to read her THE SLEEP BOOK. . . just thinking about it makes me yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that people are afraid of what they don't understand. Information is one of the most powerful weapons we can have in our personal arsenals.

    I was terrified of cancer....until I got it, and survived it. Most of my fear stemmed from the fact that the ONLY thing I knew about it (prior to getting it) was that it killed people. After I'd done my research and armed myself with info, my fear lessened, and I was able to wrap my brain around a plan of attack. Then I was the one in control, not the cancer.

    I think this philosophy can apply to many of life's
    unknowns. But I'm with Cyndi in that I cannot be the one to write these books. My purpose is to inject humor and levity into the world - something that is also sadly lacking and sorely needed.

    There's room for all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knowledge is definitely power, Jody. The more you learn about something, the less scary it can become . . . though I still jump when I watch the TAPS show (Ghost Hunter), but it could be the crappy camera handling. :-)

    BTW: where's my cartoon avatar???? *taps foot* I'm waiting. . .

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.