5/28/10

Welcome Summer!

I was going to say, "Gone Fishing", but I don't fish.  And I'm not going to be gone this weekend, as we will be having a fun filled weekend of yardwork!

Okay, just today actually.  It's SOD LAYING TIME!!

A couple of weeks ago, my hubster and I were trimming a very ugly tree (the top growing spike had died so it went out instead of up) that we had up front and we decided to cut it down.  There starts the saga. Chainsaw and his bro, took out the tree, we went to a tree farm about 20 miles away and picked out a tree and scheduled a couple of stumps to get ground when they planted the tree.  We expanded our flower beds, planted a few new shrubs and annuals, and added dirt to the lawn.  This was when hubster called the Rain Man--a company that installs watering systems. We've lived in this house 15 years and my only request was . . . you got it--a watering system. I finally have one in the front--YAY! 

Well, they proceeded to dig up the rest of the yard that hadn't been trenched yet.  So today, hubster is renting a roto-tiller and tearing up the rest of the sod . . . so we can lay more sod. 

Yeah, it sounds stupid, but have you ever tried to lay sod and join it to existing sod??

We have.  And it isn't worth it, trust me.  Tear up the whole yard and start over. 

And the backyard?  Well, we revamped one small bed and I'm keeping a firm hand on everything else until I convince hubster that we need a watering system back there. Last year, we revamped the weird side of our yard--a narrow area between our double deck and house to the neighbor's fence.  This is also the side with our two air conditioners.  Instead of grass, it's one huge bed with a rock walkway. 

Oh, yeah, and we are having an outdoor fireplace built near the far end of the pool.  I'll have to take pictures and post them.

Once I get the puppy house broken and sleeping all night, life will be good--for some reason, she thinks that 3:14 AM is the time to start yapping and howling--IT'S PLAYTIME . . . NOT.  She shut up at 5:30.  Yeah, we listened to her the entire time while our kidlet slept blissfully.

Where is the justice??

Write on, Peeps!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! You are ambitious! I'm hoping to get some reading and revising in this weekend, and go to at least one festival. No sod laying for me.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks for the reminder, Edie!
    --I need to dose up on Aleve! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My yard grows just the way nature intends it. I have the grass knocked back once a month, but otherwise it's on its own. It manages to produce roses, star jasmine, blackberries, persimmons, plums, apples, walnuts and a variety of wildflowers without any help from me. It's even self-watering thanks to an underground creek that provides a very high water table.

    This is MY idea of 'gardening.' :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my garden, but the older that I get, the less I enjoy the strenuous stuff, i.e. sod laying. :-)Today is Saturday and I still haven't recovered! I don't think it will take too much convincing to put in a watering system in the back, but we need to finish the outdoor fireplace first and then see if we have any money left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's another good thing about MY 'garden'....it costs me $30 a month tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jody, I'm jealous!!

    I've spent about half of the last couple days mowing, then yesterday I began clearing out an old brush pile. (Put it too near the trees, so I've got to move it.) Lit a fire and burned about two full trees' worth of small branches -- not the greatest fun in 90-degree heat!

    Today I've been reorganizing cabinets. I think I'd rather be outside with the fire again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad you couldn't save the bonfire until a cool autumn night, Marilyn, then you could invite us all over for hot dogs and smores as we let the pyro in us enjoy the event.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people would HATE my yard....it's extremely 'rustic' looking....but that's the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.