4/12/10

Breakthrough

I had been piddling around with this second book in a middle grade series for about six months now. I started it in August 2009 with a vague idea of what was going on. I wrote about ten thousand words, but puttered around and couldn't finish it.

In the interim, I wrote two serial blog stories to get into the protagonist's mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed writing them and I'm currently submitting them to various contests and magazines, but I didn't get the breakthrough that I wanted. I plowed my way through the story, until I reached page 70, roughly 22000-words, the halfway point. I didn't have enough story to finish. The story was going to be totally boring and not worth writing.

What was I going to do?

Well, I did a lot of thinking. AND I refered back to a logline I had to write for an online agent contest that I had entered.

When a water nymph ensnares a special needs child who can see the magical world, a half-elven tween, a faerie and the child’s mean sister must work together to save her.

Two things stood out. 1) it was a red herring, 2) I had to get my protagonist and her sworn enemy to work together.

The supposed villian wasn't the character in the logline. It was someone I had planted in the beginning of the story, but I had made the mistake of listening to a writing buddy (don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY WRITING BUDDY. She has great input and is a wonderful brainstormer, but she doesn't write fantasy, uh, in other words she doesn't live in la-la land like I do!), and dropped the premise. I could insert the premise without changing the first half of the story, but I needed to find a good reason for this character to commit this horrendous act.

--I called my brother. He's retired from the Corps of Engineers and I needed to know about dams and lakes. He gave me enough for my idea to make sense YAY! Breakthrough #1

The second problem was forcing my protag and her enemy together. How could I do that? The enemy's sister almost drowns and my protag happens to be at the right place to save her, BUT the family is at the hospital. How could I get these two together. Cue my Writing Buddy. She suggested that the moms played Bunco together. It didn't work for me, but it got me thinking--see, this is the beauty of good writing buddies. They jostle you enough to get your mind to working--my protag's mother moved them back to her home town after her father was killed in an accident. The mothers had been BFF's for thirty years, but the kids didn't know it. Who would you trust to watch your daughter if you have to stay at the hospital with another child? Your BFF, of course. Breakthrough #2!

I have a great backstory for my villian. I can throw my two humans together. It works! Oh, I'll need to do some major tweaking, but the bones are there. I wrote 3500 words on Thursday. On Friday, I managed to write 1000 words, but stumbled as we had to put our dog to sleep.

I just love it when everything falls together! And I expect to finish my MG novel next week.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Margaret, I'm happy for your breakthrough. It's so great when that happens. And talking to people -- especially other writers -- is great. Their ideas seem to power up your brain cells and see new possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret--I'm so sorry about your beloved pet. My well wishes are with you! And it sounds so great that you have had so much progress on your WIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Edie! I just needed my brainpan joggled a little bit and I realized what I had to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Heather. We're adjusting, but my cat is having serious issues today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I'd been writing something since last september and a few months ago just went totally blank on inspiration, for no particular reason. Everything else I was working on was going along swimmingly. Why THAT project? Why then? I still don't know, nor do I know what finally jostled my brain out of idle and in to gear. Glad to hear you're back on track, I'm looking forward to reading it one of these days, if you let me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you'll read it, Jody, don't you worry about that! I want to finish my first draft and give it one run-through before I send it to you. I'm shooting for the first part of May.
    --You have been warned. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry about, Katie. Know I've been thinking about you guys.

    I'm so glad you got your breakthrough! That is an awesome feeling. Writer friends are the best at giving you ideas, even if sometimes what they say doesn't fit, it's amazing what a jumping off point it can be. Good going and keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ash. Mr. Kato Kitty has had a tough time today, we all miss the big fuzzy butt. :-(
    I've already written 2000 words today, and I think I have a few more before I call it a day. They aren't pretty words, but they are down on paper! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manuscript exchange partners are great at telling us what they don't get that's so "clear" to us and finding little typos. They're even great at find holes or inconsistencies. But sometimes we have to go with out instincts.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, Theresa, I don't have a real CP right now. Most of my writing buddies write romance and don't really 'get' middle grade. This particular buddy is good at brainstorming, and letting me reason out various scenes.
    And I totally exploit her! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.