12/4/09

Yearly Wrap-Up (Part 2)

Okey-dokey pokey, onward to the setting of writing goals.

One thing you need to remember is that goals change, goals evolve, so don't feel frustrated or upset if you didn't meet your original goals. Adjust your goals as your writing needs change.

A year ago, I was at a writing retreat with Deb Dixon-yes, THAT Deb Dixon, the Queen of GMC, Goal, Motivation and Conflict-and she pointed out that your character doesn't necessarily have to have the same goal by the end of the story as the character did at the beginning of the story. It's okay for them to change goals. Therefore, I feel the same way about writing goals.

This is your yearly goals list, not anyone else's goals so don't get nit-picky.
For example, I wouldn't do this:

--write every day

I hate it when writers put this down as a yearly goal as it's unrealistic, life tends to get in the way so I use this sort of goal in a week-by-week basis or as a 100-words a day challenge. I can look at my weekly calendar and figure out what a realistic goal is for that week. I can add or delete the amount accordingly. In the summer months my kiddo is out of school, and if I get any writing accomplished then that's just icing. But I do know that I can edit. For me, I need quiet, uninterrupted time to write, but I can take innumerable interruptions while editing. It's what works for me--go figure.

So, here is an example of my writing goals. The dashes (--) are really bullet points since I can't seem to make them work on the blog.

--Send partial of Demon Spawn to DD at BelleBridgeBooks (Jan.)--Done 1/24/09--dumped it and started over--decided to write younger

--Finish @#$%^& manuscript (Yes, I cursed on my yearly goal list), Demon Spawn, including synopsis & query--NOPE

--Broadly plot UF 7-book series idea (Demon Manifesto)--NOPE

--Write a few Peter stories (easy readers) and pimp the ones already written--1 DONE

Farther down the list were new goals that I accomplished:

--Wrote middle grade story--Missing: One Garden Gnome 5/29/09 (date finished) 47000 words--query written 7/15, synopsis written 7/16, submitted to Delacorte Yearling contest 6/30/09

--Wrote chapter book story, The Faerie Who Lost His Wings 5/13/09 --1742 words

--Started writing The Fast and The Faerieous--MG novel

And, of course, there were a few false starts on a couple of paranormal suspense's that I didn't include on this list.

So I didn't end up finishing the goal that I had in January, but that's okay because I revised my list according to where I was with my writing.

I know writers who simply put: Write X number of books. And that's okay as it is a goal that works for them. I like a little more detail in my goals.

I have one more goal oriented post before I start working on my list for 2010. I hope you'll join me, but until then . . .

Write on!



16 comments:

  1. I like your take on goal setting because it's realistic. People seem to fall apart if they can't reach certain ideals, and then it boils over to the place that feeds the ugly inner critic.

    Thanks for keeping it real! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad my goals break down helps, Kath.

    Why stress about missing a particular goal, especially when you change it to a different goal?

    When I decided to stop writing romances and switched to writing children's books, my bro said, "don't think of it as failing in your writing goals, think of it as a ninety degree turn."

    I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bro is very wise! He knows how to remove the sting and reminds us that reinvention brings relief and hopefully, rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember that Carol Fulton used to always make us tell her our riding goals at the beginning of every year? I always thought that way helpful. You can't possibly map out your trip if you don't have any idea where you'd like to end up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing when you changed writing genre's. It's just going a different direction, not failing. :)

    I will write out goals at first of year. I do every year. Mine will have to vary from before because of the full time job, but if others can work and write, so can I!!

    But I do like how you write them all down specifically and the reading list. It will be interesting to see how many books I do read in a year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are way more specific than I am! But you can see what you've accomplished. Interesting take on goal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kath, this particular bro (#3 out of 5) has been through a lot in his life, which has made him very philosophical about things. Whereas, if #5 bro made a comment it would be about my loser lack of commitment.
    --that's family for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember Carol doing that, but I wasn't always present and accounted for when I got on Abe--I was preparing for a bronc-bustin' ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, Kira, I was more efficient with my time when I worked. I'd get up early and write for 45 minutes before going to work. I just can't write at night, my brainpan shuts down at three or four in the afternoon.
    --You'll figure it out, K! Look how you whipped that novella out in a month and it wasn't even on your radar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Mama Mary! I always have to do things a little differently than most people. Look at my weekly goals--I always bullet point them. Yeah, I'm not 'normal'. And I'm okay with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you said, everyone has a different way of goal setting. Romney did a workshop for us at bold and sold this year about goal setting, and did a great job!
    I'm going to try her way this year. I'll tell you all about it if it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Margie, too bad we can't tag-team writing. MY brain wakes up just about the time yours shuts off. Between the two of us we could write 24/7.

    I do remember your riding goal with Abe. "Don't die."

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like writing a book, Susan. Every writer has her own way of doing it, and it might not be the same for each book, but it works for the writer. Yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily goals should be what works for YOU, and if Romney's method works or a combination of a couple of methods, then all is good.
    --let me know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You weren't kidding, Jody! Somedays I'd get off that horse and my legs would be shaking, but I damn well got back on him the next day.

    Abe might have been the psycho demon horse from hell, but he did one thing for me--he really taught me how to RIDE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I used to ride Abe for you when you were away, people would come out to the ring to watch just to see if I stayed on. I could have gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel and not attracted such a concerned crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. *sheesh* You get the worry-warts and I get the geniuses betting where I'll land!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.