11/4/09

Crisis of Faith

--writing faith, that is.

For some reason, this week has been rough for me. I think it's because so many of you are doing NaNo and producing some truly impressive word counts--one online friend wrote over 11K in 3 DAYS! I must say my fingers would be bloody stumps if I had written that many words. But more power to her, and all you NaNo over-achievers!

I was putzing around with my suspense and managed to get stuck. . . again. I knew where I wanted the story to go, but I just couldn't get it there. So, I started looking at my books about writing craft--trust me, I have a lot--but one caught my eye. It isn't a craft book, but I stuck it there because of the impressive bibliography, it's Michael Crichton's TIMELINE. I opened it and read the first page. Love the story, it's on my desk for another read. And this morning, I was doing my usual blog-hopping and read Donald Maass's post on Writer Unboxed. Wow! What an eye-opener!

THIS was why I was stuck writing Rosewood Manor (RM). RM has the potential to be a HUGE conspiracy book, BUT I'm not at the point in my writing career to write it to it's full potential! I keep wanting to shove it into a romance, but it isn't. So, for the moment, RM is shelved. I still love the story--and the ghost--she is my Aunt Mary, so I have to like her! I'll return to this story when the time is ripe and I'm a better writer.

Onward to some better news!

Last week, Lori Brighton, held a first paragraph contest with her Kensington editor as the contest judge. I found out that one of my good friends didn't final, so I figured why bother looking if she didn't final. Well, when I hit the 'L's in my blogroll, I pulled up Lori's post. What do you know?!?
DEMON CONNECTION was listed as a finalist, #7 on the list! Whee!

I don't suck as a writer!!

So I had to send in my first page to Lori. Uh, I looked in my file--Nada. I looked in my sub files--Nada. I checked my recycle trashcan that I always forget to empty--Nada. At this point I was having a major freakage attack, but finally found it! Yay! So, with minor tweaks, I sent it on it's way.

Now, my mission is clear: tweak Demon Connection so it will be ready if needed. And if it doesn't make the next round, then it will be ready to query.

Write On!

11 comments:

  1. I think it takes a lot of guts to realize you need to shelve a story--even if only temporarily. Especially when you love the story.
    Good for you, girl! I'm proud of you for doing that.

    And I know you will pick up your Demon story and perservere. Because that's what we do!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kira! I feel like I got my mojo back--it's a good feeling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, your entry is great! You should never feel that you suck. Maybe the other story isn't right for you. I've started a couple like that. Books I've thought would make a great story. Then I realize, yes, it would make a good story ... but not for me. lol

    I've still saved them. Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Edie! I like my demon story, too. It's hard to walk away from a story, but maybe somewhere down the road I'll be ready to do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you can all jump on me if you want for this but....You've GOT to just drop the whole "word count" beeswax. Word count means NOTHING. YOu can write 5000 words and they can all be CRAP. Or you can write one absolutely stellar passage.

    Yeah, yeah, you're getting hot under the collar as you read this, but you know I'm right. You don't just want words, you want THE RIGHT words.

    I never, ever understood the word count thing. I never count daily words, I never will. I look back to see how long a particular thing is getting for a point of reference, but that's it.

    I set a goal to work out a particular section ,chapter, passage, scene, whatever. It does not matter one bit how many words it involves.

    So cut out the whole beating yourself up over word count thing. It's meaningless.

    And Margie, I loved your demon connection opener and voted for it! I am not surprised it finaled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord love you, Jody! Why would I get upset??
    --you give me topics to blog about! :-)

    A quickie response: I've tried the other methods that you suggest--they don't work for me. And I have been known to switch them up a time or two.

    In fact, last week when I was still writing on RM, I wrote a pivotal scene that starts the whole biz of Kit running for her life. I KNEW it was crap, BUT I needed to write the scene so I could 'see' what happened to her--two days later, it got deleted. 1000 words gone, with one tap.
    --and I'm okay with that

    Oh, and the Scarlett Boa contest that you had to sign up to vote for me (thanks!)? Yeah, I didn't final. This was a different contest. It was actually judged by an editor instead of a popularity contest. So I'm truly stoked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am excited to hear that DC finaled in a 'real' contest, I hate those popularity vote things - they are more an indication of your tenacity than your writing prowess.

    I absolutely relate to the need to 'vomit up' a scene just to see where it goes - I toss stuff up all the time only to throw it all out later. You know, just to get me from point A to point B. But I never write just for the sake of the word tally.

    You gotta go what works for you. For ME, a number would be meaningless - but then I am a person who has NO relationship with numbers, right down to inability to ever balance my checkbook :)

    Okay, looking forward to your 'Why Count Words?' blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on finaling in the paragraph contest Margaret. Loved your entries, so I was excited to see the one going further in the contest.

    Best of luck with that first page.

    As for the fear you suck. I think we all go through periods of feeling like that. It's that old demon of doubt rearing its ugly head. But it looks like you have a demon hunter in one of your WIP-- you can have that heroine vanquish the doubt demon!

    Every writer walking this planet would owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Trish! When I worked at a 'real' job, I never had any doubts as to who I was, what I did and what I represented, but writing is a whole 'nuther beast! It's so personal that not 'succeeding' means failing, though in actuality it doesn't.
    --Writing is just another mental game that must be conquered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only way you can fail at writing is if you don't try. Publication doesn't mean you succeeded, it just means you've taken another step on the path to where ever you’re headed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, Trish. For me, publication will be icing on the cake.
    And on a side note: The path tends fork and change directions. I've learned to go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.