5/13/09

Log lines

On Monday, I had a little reality check concerning what writers need to produce when they finish a novel.

And it isn't just a fantastic novel . . . though that is an important part of the equation.

A writer needs to be able to write a long synopsis (8-10 pages, double spaced), a short synopsis (less than five pages, double spaced), a one page synopsis (single spaced) a blurb (a couple of paragraphs, 500 words MAX, think back cover copy of a book for query letter), and an elevator pitch (one or two lines, roughly 25 words).

So I was trolling through the normal blogs that I check daily and I came across the Query Tracker blog, about pitching log lines and one of the genres requested was YA fantasy. I'm writing a MG fantasy, so I thought 'what the hay'. The contest is now closed and the results are pending, but it really brought the fact to mind that all writers, especially unpubs need to know how to do a one line pitch, or an elevator pitch. It turns out that my online goals group was presenting a log line class by my friend and CP Cindy Carroll.

Talk about synchronicity!

Uh, I didn't have a log line for this book. It isn't finished. I thought I'd wait until it was done, but I had managed to get myself stuck and couldn't figure out how to raise the stakes. (see Monday's blog) ;-) But I wanted to enter this pitch contest.

Why?

I don't know. Guess I just like rejection. Anyhoo, log lines originated in the screenplay world, but has now oozed over to other writing genres. Basically, you, the writer, pitch your story idea to an editor/agent/producer/etc. providing the essence of your story in 25 words or less. The log line should tell us WHO the story is about,WHAT he wants (Goal), and WHY he can't have it (Conflict). Names are not used. Descriptors tell the listener more than names anyway.

Cindy is really, really good at this. During the class many people posted their lines, and she waved a magic wand and clarified the statement usually using fewer words than the original log line.

Well, I wrote my line, had Cindy look at it, and submitted it. Now, the last time Query tracker did something like this, they had almost 600 responses. So I know I'm not going to get a request or any props, but coming up with a log line did one thing that I didn't expect.

It gave me the external conflict that I needed to continue with this story. The WHY. This isn't to say that the story won't change, but I now have a direction to go.

My log line? You want to see it? This is a middle grade fantasy novel, roughly 35,000 words long. Okely-dokely, here you go:

When a tween’s garden gnome disappears she enlists the help of her friend to investigate their cat-collecting neighbor and discover she’s a witch intent on wiping out mythicals to empower the coven.

Write on!

17 comments:

  1. A good blog and a cute book. I love YA and kid books. Must be the kid in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, that sounds like it will be a fun book! I hope you get a request.

    I've been enjoying the logline class, too. I need to work one up for the next book that's simmering in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really did your research on this. I like the log line and I think it definately works for your story.

    I'm convinced that it won't be long till we see your name in print. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't the first gnome you've had in one of your stories, is it?
    Do you collect garden gnomes? If not, maybe you should start. They could come in real handy for promotions when you start selling.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Mary, and the quality of YA and MG books just keep getting better and better. I love that good books are getting our young population excited about reading again!

    Thank, Edie! Cindy is doing an awesome job on the log lines. I love how she can take a good line and make it even better!

    Aw, Kira, you know how many years I have under my belt with this writing stuff. Log lines are relatively new to me, but I DO think they are supremely helpful.

    Hey Susan! You're right! :-) I took my gnome from Leprechaun and used him in my MG novel. I figured that if I couldn't sell Leprechaun I might as well use some of the characters I made up!
    And, yes, I DO have a small collection of gnomes that I collected pre-Todd in the early 80's. Poor little dudes are sitting in a box since hubby thinks they are ugly. www.cairnstudio.com/index.shtml
    They are all Tom Clark gnomes. Most of them are probably retired by now. My first gnome was feeding a baby bird sunflower seeds. Hm . . .maybe I need to unearth one of that little guy for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for saying such nice things about the class, Margaret. I'm glad I could help. And I'm glad people are getting something out of the class. Like I said in the first lesson, I could come up with log lines all day. I think it's so much fun. Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoot, Cindy, you are awesome at log lines! Where were you when I needed you? :-)
    Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until I started reading your blog, I never realized how many rules and formulas and hoops there are to jump through in the process of writing (fiction anyway) and submitting for publication.

    Does knowing you have to do all this squelch your creativity? Does the 'business' of writing ever undermine the enjoyment?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love ya, Jody! It’s all part of the game.
    Publishing houses have various imprints. It’s these imprints that dictate the type/style of book it publishes.
    I don't think the rules/formulas squelch your muse, but you do need to know the business and what is expected when you start fiction writing.
    It is a rarity that a publisher will look at you unless you have the first book written. It’s when you start pimping the book that you need to learn to write these other things.
    1) One line pitch: for the agent you meet in a bar or elevator at a conference. Or a pitch contest like the one I entered. Plus it helps you keep on track with the story in general terms. And one line pitches are good for when you have an agent and you are throwing ideas around for the next proposal.
    2) Blurbs: for query letters and back of the book.
    3) Synopses: I suggest 3 lengths. Many contests want a one page so the judge understands where the writer is going with the story. Some agents want short, some want long. I've even seen agents wanting a one pager.
    And after you get published, the writer starts selling on proposal, which consists of 3 chapters and a synopsis. Many writers can shoot out numerous proposals, but only the editor can decide which one has the potential to make the publisher money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not pubbed yet, but I don't think everything you have to know shuts up my muse. She talks regardless! lol
    And I don't know if Margaret will agree, but I want to write, because I want to write. Getting published is just the perk that goes with it. I think even if I never get pubbed, I will still write. But don't get confused-- I WANT to be pubbed, it's just not the end all, be all of my muse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting published is the icing on the cake.
    BUT it opens a whole 'nuther can of worms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the quick lesson. I think I'm better suited to stick with writing humorous essays and non fiction, which are much easier to get published, it seems.

    But.....I'm going to submit a comic strip for syndication consideration this summer, so I may still end up learning all about rules and rejections.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS - I think I'm going to have to reciprocate and start a blog about something all of YOU can ask me endless questions about which I can answer with infinite patience as you have done for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! Keep us in your loop, Jody! I would be interested to learn about your experiences with syndicated cartoons!
    A couple of summers ago, Tulsa had a contest for new cartoons as they were dumping some old ones. We had about 8 to choose from and the two with the most votes went in the paper.
    And I LOVE Mac and Jill! Good Luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll keep you posted!

    In the meantime, you've inspired me to create my first log line:

    "After syndicates reject her, a menopausal cartoonist discovers ancient magic that transports her into the comic strip world where she hunts down and eliminates her fictional 'competitors', one by one....."

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG! Jody, that is Too funny!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.