5/18/09

BIAW: Book In A Week

Not literally, but I'm sure there are a few diehards willing to try.

One of my cyber GIAM (a goals group) buddies, Barbara White Daille supports a monthly BIAW, and today is the starting day. It runs Monday through Sunday, though I doubt I will be able to write anything from Friday onward. Todd will be home on Friday, so I'll be kissing any productivity out the window. :-) Plus it is Memorial Day weekend and I want to hang by the pool provided it warms up and the rain leaves us alone for awhile.

Back on topic, the goal of BIAW is to write as much a possible each day. Some people have a goal of simply sitting in the writing chair for ten minutes a day, while others intend to write thousands of words each day. Barbara suggests we shut off all communication with the Internet (my personal bete noir), freeze meals for the family, and buckle down--BICHOK (Butt in Chair, Hands on Keyboard).

I plan to do something in the middle. I'll still have stuff to do around the house, namely working out, laundry, cooking and some gardening, but I'll set the timer to write for 30 minutes at a time without checking email or turning on one of the damn addictive judge shows. Trust me, this is my challange!

In preparation for this, I'm pre-writing my blogs for this week. Yes, I'm writing this on Sunday. I will not blog hop or comment on blogs. I will not check email every 2.5 minutes. And I MUST finish my third wave of revisions on Faerie--DONE! They are marked on the hard copy, but I want to put them in the computer so Todd can read it to Rachel tonight.

I will finish these items even if I have to type while watching the Survivor finale tonight!

Why am I making myself crazy about this?

I really, really need/want to finish my gnome story. Yes, I want to enter it in the Delacorte contest, but primarily I want this rough draft finished before Rachel is out of school. If it's finished, then I can edit/tweak to my heart's content over the summer, provided I have something to tweak!

So my goal is BICHOK.

Write on!

Monday: 2515 words
Tuesday: 3373 words
Wednesday: 3028 words
Thursday: 3408 words
Friday: 1929 words
Saturday: 980 words
Sunday: 336 words
Grand total: 15,487 Words or 53 pages!!


6 comments:

  1. Margaret, I'll see you on the BIAW posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're taking this path with BIAW. I've known people who got so caught up in it, they never fixed what they'd written, went on to write more BIAWs and then couldn't understand why it didn't sell. (Or why they had so many revisions if it did.)
    But you're nothing if not resolute in your writing. Go for it. You're due a sale soon!
    Susan
    If you have a moment whenever you read comments, pop over to 3 twisted sisters and tell me WHY you write.
    ~s~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, girlie! Get it done, the clock is a ticking!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, Edie, Susan and Kira! I managed to write over 2500 words, run errands, do six loads of laundry, AND walk for 45 minutes. During my walk, I figured out a large portion of my tween's backstory and know how to make it worse. :-) Yes, I'm planning to kill her mother! Bwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've become a HUGE fan of a timer, Karin! But you have a release this next and you need to write my Monday blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.