2/6/09

Writers: Psychotic Nutjob or Talented Artist

My family thinks I'm a nutjob . . . .uh, don't go there, people!

But I really don't care what they think, which is part of the problem. Yeah, I do have my moments where I use the shock factor (as hubster calls it) on them as I talk about killing a character, or inventing an animal, or having my faeries live on the Aurora Borealis, or wishing I had a brownie to clean up the house, but they don't understand me, and I have now become firmly implanted in their minds as a nutjob. My side of the family is chocked full of "engineers", "medical personal" and you know, "scientists". If you can't see, hear, smell, yadda, yadda, it ain't real. I used to be one of them, a med tech, and worked in a hospital for years, but now I'm different and they don't know how to categorize me.

The only people who understand me on my side of the family is my SIL, considering I have 8 bros and sis's that isn't saying much. She's supportive and helps me brainstorm through my writing problems and, I like to think, knows who I really am. Hubster and DD tolerate my quirkiness. Hubster is a network IT director, so he's firmly in the category of "engineer's" even though he doesn't technically have an engineering degree--it's the mental state of mind that I'm talking about here. They really felt a part of the writing process when they helped my brainstorm my children's picture books. I need to write a few more Peter stories, but I digress. It's the Urban Fantasy's that have them rethinking the nutjob situation.

On the hubster's side of the family, my MIL understands, sort of, she's an artist. So she understands different visions, subjectivity, and how you pour yourself into a work only to have it rejected. I still think she thinks I'm an oddball, but she doesn't really mind. Now, my Bro-in-law is interesting. He understands. He totally drives me nutso, not the same a nutjob mind you. He is a creative computer dude. And this may be why he drives me crazy--we are very similar--GAK! Brain overload, brain overload! Yeah, after knowing him for 18 years, I just figured this out. . . talk about my swift brain synapses.

Even when you find like minds, writing is still a lonely business. Only you can trust your vision and be true to yourself . . . even if everyone around you thinks you are a total nutjob.

So, what is the difference between a writing nutjob and an artist?

--a publishing contract.

You bet your sweet tookus it is. All is forgiven if you manage to get published. That means you are somebody. Someone took a chance on you, therefore you have talent.

Until that day, and probably even after, I'll remain Crazy Aunt Margaret, the nutjob.

Write on!

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I love being the Crazy Aunt. Even if the day ever comes that I publish, I'll STILL be the Crazy Aunt.

    Because I have been known to write a spicy sex scene from time to time, I'm sure some family members pray daily for my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what my family thinks of me. None of them are perfect, that's for sure. lol It's my opinion that counts. And yours, Margaret.

    I wish I'd had a crazy aunt like you. I bet your nieces and nephews love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with being a bit different. My daughter suggested I was eccentric.

    I like it that way!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my little blog.