12/5/08

To make candy or write . . .

Well, I'm making Christmas candy this week, BUT I'm thinking about my story. A lot of writing involves thinking about scenes or characters or plot twists or how to get a character from point A to point B without the boring crap (driving in car, getting breakfast at McD's, etc) of reality in between.

I write by the seat of my pants. I have an idea. I know the ending. And I might have an idea of a couple stops along the way. I learn about my characters as I write them, which means I tend to rewrite the beginning of my novel many, many times. That's it. I'm a pantser.

Plotters on the other hand. Write detailed character arcs, character interviews, long synopses detailing everything, etc. I know there's something I'm missing in this, but I don't plot so I don't know what it is. :-) For me, plotting to this depth takes away from the freshness of the story.

So even if you don't put fingers to the keyboard to write daily, you can still be thinking and working on your story. When you are in the shower, taking a walk, driving the car, waiting in line and, *gulp* forgive me God, even in church, you can think about your story.

Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my little blog.